Monday, July 30, 2012

Tomatillos!



I'm back again!

I got a bag of tomatillos in my CSA box last week. I've never done anything with tomatillos. I was a little flustered by them, but I'd already planned for tortilla soup on Saturday evening. I just switched up my plans a little and made tomatillo soup.






Aren't they pretty? This is after Mr. Geeky removed the husks for me and I'd begun chopping them.



I'd already sauteed three flattened chicken breast halves in this pan. 
Then I cooked onion, jalapeno peppers, and garlic and added broth. 
I boiled the mess for about 15 minutes.


After it boiled, it looked like that above.


Then I pureed it with my immersion blender. 
I love my immersion blender.


The recipe I had didn't call for tomatoes or corn, but I had tomatoes from my plants and four ears of corn from the CSA box, so I cut the corn from the cobs and chopped up the tomatoes.


And Mr. Geeky cut the chicken into tiny pieces.





After I added the chicken and vegetables, I added my secret ingredient.




Now it's not a secret. Secret Aardvark habanero hot sauce. It is THE BEST. I have a friend in the Northwest US who supplies me with this wonderful stuff.

And, naturally, I have no pictures of the finished soup, but with a dollop of sour cream added, it's absolutely lovely. We were in a hurry to eat Saturday night since Mr. Geeky and I took the sprogs to their first symphony. We had the soup with tortilla chips, sour cream, and cheese.

Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment